Friday, August 26, 2005

I Hate Improvement, I Love Improving.

Lately, with the addition of Clay to our team, we’ve gone in a different direction with the style of music we’re playing. Much of what we do is the same, but we’ve been adding some rich, urban black gospel to our rep., mainly because that’s what Clay is really, really good at.

Here’s the problem: I’m a whiter-than-white rock and roll keyboard player. I’ve got soul inside me, but getting it out and onto the keys is not always easy. Playing this genre of gospel for ME is like asking a hip-hop dancer to do ballet (can you tell I’ve been watching “So You Think You Can Dance?”). If I’m going to have the job I have, I need to be a pro at my instrument, but lately I haven’t felt like one. I’ve felt like a no-good hack pianist for the jazz band at Kennedy Middle School in Wabash, IN. THAT’S NOT GOOD ENOUGH! So, the solution was simple: I had to start practicing. I don’t like practicing. I hate practicing. I never practice. I had to make the decision that being a “PRO” meant being a pro at every style, at any time. So yesterday, I sat at the piano for the better part of a day and worked on 8 measures of music. That’s about 15 seconds of music for you non-music peeps. Did I enjoy it? Not a chance. Am I better today than I was yesterday? A ton.

Next week will surely bring another song that needs work, and feeding off of my success from this week, I’ll spend the time necessary to ‘get it right’ again. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe.

A quote worth quoting: “You play the way you practice”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Josh, I chuckle at the thought of you sitting there hour after hour playing the piano, trying not to sound so 'white'!
Let's see the bible says to be skilled in our music & worship so I guess we practice hour after hour. You've got the soul, and I will pray that God helps you release it so you can worship as you've never worshipped before!! Continue your great work for the Kingdom!

Love ya kiddo
Nancy Myers