Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Drive-In...

So...
Twice in the last week I've been to the Drive In Movie Extraviganza. Ok, "Extravaganza" was not part of the name of the place, but it was extra-something: Special... Fun... Fellowshipable... Scarry... Dirty... Grose... I don't know. Maybe "Innersting" would be the correct term?

The first night was Friday Night. The place was jammed. EVERYBODY in San Diego wanted to see the Duke brothers ride again. I guess a few people wanted to see how Jessica Simson's "acting" skills were coming, but I'm pretty sure most people were there to see The General Lee.

Only at the drive in can you find just about every kind of person out there. The drive in is not a respector of age, weight, race, social-economics, religion, or political party. On one side of our completey normal, domestically neutral clan were the Desert Turkeys... who brought their own sofa. Ok. That's cool. Except, did I mention it had a lift kit on it. Yeah, it was hoisted 4 feet in the air by giant springs. On the other side of us was the sawed-off Volkswagen bus with the surfer and his girl in the way-back. closer to us was another couple who decided to see who could hold the most liquer during one movie. Then slightly ahead of us was the slumber party. Awe, wasn't that cute. The little girls running back and forth from their car to the snack bar as many times as possible before the previews began. One girl was very good at that... well... the snack bar part, not so much the running part.

On to Last night. Somehow I convinced 3 responsable adults, one child, and two infants that a 12:40AM movie was not too late. My insomnia will bring the world down.

This night was different. I pulled up to the ticket window to pay, and the pot-head attendent looked at me for a minute, the said, "What's up?" I replied, "...um, I'd like to see a movie?" Yes, I said it in question form.

We got in there, and I instantly spoted one of the 3 other cars as being the "make-out" car. It was a ford excape, and the (teen) couple was making there bed in the back of the SUV (facing the screen). It just so happened that my vehicle was facing the rear of theirs. The movie was over and I really had no choice but to hop in my car as quick as possible, and turn on my brights :) Yeah, he was scramblin quick to put his pants back on. Whatever he was doing was way wrong, Grandma, but catching him was so right!
We got home at 3AM. We are tired today, but we'll never forget last night!

1 comment:

Josh and Cammie Delph said...

Only at the drive-in... I don't think we have any around here, but man if we did.. we'd be THERE! Glad you had a pleasant experience.