Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Friends Don't Let Friends Hike and Blog?


I started combing through some blogs today. I started at one friend’s site, then jumped from his to another, then another, and so on. I came across a ton of old friends. It was great to see what everyone’s doing with their lives, but…

Somewhere along the way, when the little elves were creating “BLOG”, one of the elves decided to create a secret code that appears on the computer screen. It flashes really, really fast in order to brainwash people who are singing up for blog. The code, when de-coded properly reads this:

In order to have an effective blog, you must…

1) Learn to hike.

2) Hike all the time.

3) Have really deep thoughts while you’re hiking.

4) Quit your job and forget anything you’ve ever learned about responsibility and taking care of yourself and your family and hike ALL THE TIME.

5) Post pictures of your irresponsible ways for the whole world to see, as if it’s something to be proud of.

6) Not blog unless you can write about…
a) Where you hiked
b) What you thought about when you were hiking
c) A deep though that you had while planning your hike
d) Where you’re going to hike next

7) Realize that the best pictures you can post on your blog are of YOU with your shirt off standing on a rock along the trail that YOU were hiking on. Bandanas are a plus!

8) Pretend to do the above mentioned items at all cost in order to keep the integrity of your blog, even if you have no idea how to walk, much less, hike.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Josh, I find myself doing the same thing--surfing from blog to blog and running across random people I sort of know from school...somehow came across yours this morning and, having probably seen the same blogs you're referring to, this post and picture made me laugh out loud :)

Josh and Cammie Delph said...

Yeah, what is the DEAL?! As if you have to hike to "find" yourself or find some really deep meaning in life. I refuse to join the hiking revolution. That, and I live in Kansas where the best hike I can get is on the playground on the big slide.

Anonymous said...

You're just pissed because you're locked up in your suburban cage - and your boss won't let you out of your board meetings to go soak up some of the California mountains. Oh wait - now this is the same Josh who wrote in his last post about finding himself in the CO mts. with his wife and his son by his side - sounds suspiciously like a "deep hiking thought" to me.
Admit it - you wrote this post with your New Balances on and your backpack at your side - weeping over the regret you feel that you never took that hike in CO when you had just graduated from college. Don't worry Josh - some day you will get your hike - and your bandana picture.

Josh Garlow said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Josh Garlow said...

SAM (anonymous),
You’re right. This blog is full of hypocrisy. I was just in Colorado, walking (not hiking) with my wife and son. We immersed ourselves deep in the natural, wild surroundings for about 30 minutes on a paved path. This was right after we stopped by the visitor’s center and had a latte, a fruit bowl, and a coke. (There are some fabulous souvenirs you can pick up at the visitor’s center)

Samuel Bills said...

What you don't know about hiking is that you just go up into the mts. find a good look-out spot and drink lattes. It's like the Maxwell House commercials. Now that is deep.

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything to say about hiking....I drink my lattes while navigating my jeep over nicely paved city roads.... Boring.

Hey Jane! Email me - I still have that leather jacket you loved back in the day and it's about to be "goodwilled." I think of you every time I look at it, so I HAD to at least ask if you want it. I've thought about sending it to you many-a-time. :) j3mitche@hotmail.com