Monday, January 23, 2006

Ideas

A thought has been haunting me for months, no years.
The thought is this: What if all the good ideas run out?
Scary, huh. Well maybe not for some, but for those of us who depend on new ideas on a weekly or monthly basis in order to earn a paycheck, it’s terrifying.
This question, or horrible panic in my gut when I give it time, has lead me down a road of analyzing where ideas come from. The results of my studies are conclusive...
I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IDEAS COME FROM.
I’ve sought council on this topic from people who are praised for having great ideas on a regular basis, and they say not to worry about it, as long as there’s a desire to improve, the ideas will come.
I’m not buying it. I currently have NO new ideas and I have no reliable proof that I’ll ever have a good idea again. I don’t know where it will come from or what subject it will address. I do know where I was when my last good idea struck me, but there’s absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why it came or why I deserved to have it. It just showed up, and I went with it.
OK. I know that things are God-inspired and we have to rely on Him to guide us, even if it means doing it blindly. So I really do know who the source of ALL ideas is. But it’s still an interesting thought and my lack of faith keeps me in a terrified state.

4 comments:

Casey said...

Way to over think it... Your causing me anxiety just reading the post!

Anonymous said...

The more kids you have, the less brain cells you will have left, to come up with the new ideas that drive your question

Uncle Ben

P.S. I should know. I'm grey matter depleated, as you know.

Josh Garlow said...

yes.
I know :)

Anonymous said...

Creative inspiration, outside influences, theft, they're all pretty much the same thing. I ripped off most of my ideas from my classmates' term papers and holiday catalogues. And look where it got me! But then some dipstick named his cartoon turtles after me and my buddies; kind of takes the biscuit, I'll say. I should have been the one with the nunchukus(sp?).